Permit Expiration Info

Looking to add more parking?  Driveway alterations MUST be reviewed by the Town.
Paving Machine in Driveway

Depending on the scope of work one or more of these permits may be required:

Construction Site Runoff Control Permit 

(Found in the E-Permitting Portal - Building Department - CLICK HERE for link to Construction Site Runoff Control Permit )

Excavation Permit 

(Found in the E-Permitting Portal - Department of Public Works - CLICK HERE for Link to Excavation Permit )

Looking to add an In Ground Pool to your property this year?  denys-osypov-uueJYM-QGGI-unsplashBe sure to apply for a Building Permit.

48" high pool barrier required if pool is capable of holding 24" of water.

Use the E-Permitting Portal to locate 

applications for these Building Department permits:

Building Permits

Mechanical Permits

Electrical Permits

Plumbing Permits

Tent Permits

Demolition Permits

Moving Permits

Sign Permits

Fence Permits

Construction Site Runoff Permits

Solar Permits

Collection Box Permits

Short Term Rental Permits

All permitting is done online through the RI State E-Permitting Portal, no paper copies are accepted! 

(Click blue box below for E-Permitting Portal) State of Rhode Island E-Permitting Portal

When a Permit is NOT required (per RI State Building and Fire Codes)


  1. One-story detached accessory structures provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
  2. Retaining walls that are not over 32” in height measured from the lower finished grade to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge. Exception: 1. All cast-in-place concrete retaining walls greater than 24” in height shall require a permit. 2. All engineered masonry retaining wall systems shall be installed in accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions 
  3. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallon and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1. 
  4. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below. 
  5. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work. 
  6. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep, and manmade landscape ponds of any depth.
  7. Swings and other playground equipment, and play structures less than 64 square feet. 
  8. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
  9. Replacement window sash installations. Exception: Replacement window installations that include a frame and sash(es) require a permit. 


  1. Maintenance: A permit shall not be required for replacement of lamps, receptacles, devices, or fixtures, including the connection of portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacle. 


  1. Replacement of any minor part or appliance that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe. 


  1. Portable heating appliance. 
  2. Portable ventilation appliances. 
  3. Portable cooling unit. 
  4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code. 
  5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe. 
  6. Portable evaporative cooler. 
  7. Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.


  1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code. 
  2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and re-installation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.